Heavy Equipment Operator
- April 1, 2018
- Posted by: hazelwood
Hazelwood Construction Services, Inc., a division of The Hazelwood Group, is seeking a Heavy Equipment Operator to join a hard-working and safety-conscious team on various projects throughout Vancouver Island.
Since 1993, Hazelwood Construction has built a solid reputation for market excellence, drawing on a foundation of quality work, stability and innovative approaches to challenging projects. Our company is founded on the principles of dedication, teamwork, and commitment to quality construction. After more than 20 years, Hazelwood Construction continues to maintain stable growth, while steadily diversifying the company’s project portfolio. No job is too challenging and innovation is the key to our success.
The Heavy Equipment Operator is responsible for operating heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner. Heavy equipment may include rock trucks, front-end loaders, excavators, dozers, graders, and other pieces of equipment. The Operator must be able to dig trenches safely and effectively, fine grade, and load trucks. This role is also responsible to clean, maintain and secure all equipment as directed by legislation, policies and procedures.
Compensation: very competitive hourly rate, plus benefits and pension plan
- Adhere to workplace safety policies, regulations and compliances
- Communicate any unsafe conditions or accidents/injuries in a timely manner to the supervisor in order to facilitate prompt correction or reporting
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service
- Diagnose / identify defects in heavy duty equipment
- Accurate completion of work orders and time cards
- Clean, lubricate and perform other minor maintenance work
- Keep detailed and accurate reports and documentation
- Maintain a working knowledge of changes in technology and operation techniques
- Check vehicles before driving them to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Report vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicles.
- Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate.
- Complete all necessary paperwork. May include, but not limited to, daily logs, inspection logs, delivery receipts, vehicle inspection, hours of service, etc.
- 10+ years’ experience as a Heavy Equipment Operator in civil construction
- Must have prior experience digging around existing underground utilities
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Heavy Equipment Operator Journeyman license
- Machine GPS experience is preferred.
- Appropriate credentials and certifications
- Air brake endorsement preferred
- Knowledge of truck and equipment safety
- Knowledge of water, sewer and storm works
- Knowledge of operation of front end loaders, excavators, dozers, graders, and other pieces of heavy equipment
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance and storage
- Knowledge of road construction and maintenance techniques
- Strong mechanical aptitude with ability to perform routine vehicle maintenance
- Demonstrated organizational skills with strong oral and written communication abilities
- Exceptional organizational abilities with task prioritization, multi-tasking, use of timelines and time management techniques
- High level of personal integrity
- Strong work ethic
- Professional/mature demeanor under stressful situations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Confident, consistent decisive personality
- Must be able to work with little supervision; must be self-directed
- Ability to work independently in a busy environment
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Able to deal with people tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
Benefits of Employment – Why work at Hazelwood Construction Services?
- Our compensation is very competitive – our union pays the best on Vancouver Island.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits plan which includes extended health & dental, vision care, disability, life insurance, and pension plan.
- Hazelwood Construction is a well-organized company with the resources to complete jobs with proper equipment and personnel in place.
- We have a supportive, family-oriented core group of staff that are great to work with and very proud of the work we do.
We welcome applications from individuals who meet the above criteria and who are interested in a career with Hazelwood Construction Services.
Union rates apply and all benefits are provided through the International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 115.
Please see our website for more information about Hazelwood www.hazelwoodconstruction.com