- April 1, 2018
- Posted by: hazelwood
Hazelwood Construction Services, Inc., a division of The Hazelwood Group, is seeking a Surveyor/Grade Person to join a hard-working and safety-conscious team on various projects throughout Vancouver Island.
Since 1993, Hazelwood Construction has built a solid reputation for market excellence, drawing on a foundation of quality work, stability and innovative approaches to challenging projects. Our company is founded on the principles of dedication, teamwork, and commitment to quality construction. After more than 20 years, Hazelwood Construction continues to maintain stable growth, while steadily diversifying the company’s project portfolio. No job is too challenging and innovation is the key to our success.
The Surveyor/Grade Person will be responsible for carrying out surveying duties of the organization through the use of highly specialized GPS grade control systems and other surveying tools. This individual will utilize laser levels to determine accurate measures of angular deviation, horizontal, vertical and slope distances, recording all survey data accurately to be used for site survey purposes. The Surveyor/Grade Person will further be responsible for performing on-site monitoring of construction activities to ensure work performed fully adheres to specified and established grades. The most important part of this role is double checking grades and helping the foreman make sure quality is met.
Compensation: very competitive hourly rate, plus benefits and pension plan.
- Utilize specialized GPS equipment to determine precise measures of grades and positions on a job site, including the set-up of laser levels and slope lasers.
- Determine through the use of laser levels, accurate measures of angular deviation, horizontal, vertical and slope distances.
- Accurately record all measurements, deviations and any other required information obtained during survey activities.
- Account for errors in surveying activities, ensure error measurements are included in readings and reports.
- Process and verify the accuracy of survey data to ensure no variance exists between shot lines and cultural features.
- Provide on-site troubleshooting of survey layout and machine control data to ensure all data and work performed is accurate and up to date.
- Develop ongoing and effective communication with foreman and site workers to ensure adherence to established lay out and grades as well as on-site survey interpretation.
- Perform routine field monitoring in the form of grade checking of construction work activities to ensure accuracy with reference to the site plan.
- Perform manual surveying tasks as necessary.
- Assist in the training and development of junior team-members.
- Accurately indicate elevations, property lines and land contours.
- Utilize GPS and other complex surveyor’s tools.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Civil/pipe experience preferred.
- University Degree in Applied Sciences Geology, or applicable field.
- 3+ years of surveying experience.
- Must possess a recognized license in surveying.
- Strong working knowledge of complex surveyor’s tools and GPS equipment.
- Ability to read and understand plans.
- Adaptable to changing priorities and procedures.
- Self-motivated, strong analytical skills and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Proven skills to interact effectively with employees in order to direct work flow, assess performance and assign duties.
- Computer literacy, including effective working skills of MS Word,
- Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe products and e-mail required.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects.
Benefits of Employment – Why work at Hazelwood Construction Services?
- Our compensation is very competitive – our union pays the best on Vancouver Island.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits plan which includes extended health & dental, vision care, disability, life insurance, and pension plan.
- Hazelwood Construction is a well-organized company with the resources to complete jobs with proper equipment and personnel in place.
- We have a supportive, family-oriented core group of staff that are great to work with and very proud of the work we do.
We welcome applications from individuals who meet the above criteria and who are interested in a career with Hazelwood Construction Services.
Union rates apply and all benefits are provided through the International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 115.
Please see our website for more information about Hazelwood www.hazelwoodconstruction.com